Sunday, September 11, 2011

Shadow by Michael Morpurgo

ShadowShadow by Michael Morpurgo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Blurb:

A powerful novel from Michael Morpurgo, the nation’s favourite storyteller…

Never have Aman and his mother needed a friend more than when a Springer Spaniel appears – thin and war-ravaged – in the mouth of their Afghan cave. Nursed back to health by Aman, the dog becomes a constant companion, a shadow, and that's what Aman decides to call her. But life in Afghanistan becomes more dangerous by the moment. Eventually, Aman, his mother and Shadow find the courage to embark upon the treacherous journey from war-torn Afghanistan to the safely of a relative's home in Manchester, England.
But how far can Shadow lead them? And in this terrifying new world, is anywhere really safe…?

Author:

Michael Morpurgo was born in 1943; he attended schools in London, Sussex and Canterbury. He went to London University to study English and French. After University he took up a teaching position in a primary school in Kent, it was there he discovered what he really wanted to do. During his writing career he has won numerous awards, including an OBE in 2006.

My Review:

This is the first book I have read by Michael Morpurgo, my 9 year old son got it from the library, and I wasn’t too interested in reading it at first as I didn’t really think it would be my “thing” but the front cover got me hooked. The story is about a young boy from Afghanistan, Aman, who gets befriended by a lost British Army dog called Shadow, who helps him and his mother while they are trying to escape from Afghanistan to England, to be with his Uncle Mir. The story is told from three different viewpoints, but it never gets complicated. The book is aimed at 9 to 11 year olds and is sad in places but never going into too much gruesome detail.

My son and I both enjoyed this book, it didn’t feel like a fiction book and I will definitely be reading more books by Michael Morpurgo his writing style is very clear and uncomplicated.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...